Known generally as “the NDB exam”, candidates for the National Diploma in Beekeeping actually undergo a number of assessments of different formats during the year of examination. Eligible candidates must usually hold the highest certificate of one of the National Beekeeping Associations of the British Isles.
NDB assessments are usually held in alternate years, the next being 2017. The theory paper is taken in the month of March, alongside the BBKA Module exams, and the practical examination in July or August, at TBC.
2017 NDB Assessment dates
Applications are now invited for the next National Diploma in Beekeeping assessments, which will take place in 2017. The theory exam will take place on March 18th 2017, with the practical assessment held on the weekend of TBC (likely start of July 2017).
Composite Parts of the NDB examination
In order to be awarded the National Diploma in Beekeeping the candidate must have achieved a successful assessment in the following parts which comprise the NDB:
- A three hour written paper
- A written assignment on a topic provided
- The preparation of a portfolio of beekeeping experience
- The preparation of a portfolios of plants and insects of relevance to beekeepers
- A practical assessment involving bee handling, disease recognition and general biology
- A viva voce including a presentation on the written assignment and a short spontaneous presentation
- It should be noted that the NDB is not a modular qualification and normally candidates are expected to be successful in all the constituent parts in the year of their assessment. The Board of the NDB reserves the right to use its discretion to vary this requirement.
Candidates are expected to have:
- A good working knowledge of honey bee biology
- Competent practical bee handling abilities in all situations
- Expert colony reading skills
- Ability to prepare and assess hive products
- Disease diagnosis and knowledge of the appropriate remedies
- An ability to communicate
- Demonstrable training ability
Further guidance is available on the skills and preparation required of candidates read more
Past papers, example topics for the written assignment, and guidance on the portfolio of beekeeping experience are available read more
Syllabus and plant list read more
Queries should be directed to the NDB Board Secretary, Margaret Thomas NDB
To apply for the NDB Examination, please complete and return the application form
All content copyright The National Diploma in Beekeeping Board.